Pages

Labels

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Clinical Supervision.

Today I attended a days training on clinical supervision. It was a really interesting day and a great time to spend with my fellow colleagues from across the range of Forensic wards at work, discussing the barriers and enablers which surround clinical supervision in our area of practice. 

As a newly graduated OT throughout all of my placements and my studying, supervision has been a key part of my training. Also since starting my first post I receive weekly clinical supervision with my band 6 supervisor and also attend MDT ward based reflection forums weekly. My clinical supervision over the past three months of my job have been my back bone of support in a difficult time of transition across my place of work. Without these regular and protected times I am sure that my clinical practice and clinical reasoning would not be developing as much as they currently are. The access to these regular supervision was also something which was offered to me and not something that I had to request of fight to obtain.

I was surprised  therefore when I heard from both the nurses and nursing assistance that were on the training with me that they do not currently receive any form of clinical supervision and that it is not something which is prioritised or protected  for them.
The differences highlighted today between the two professional bodies has definitely left me feeling proud to be part of a professional body which values such a pivotal and important part of clinical practice.

Another point which we discussed was the confusion which can surround what clinical supervision actually is and how as practitioner we can best utilise their supervision. Below are some definitions and useful tips which I picked up from the day:

Definitions of clinical supervision:

Bond & Holland (2001 p12)
  • “Clinical supervision is the regular, protected time for facilitation, in-depth reflection on clinical practice…...The process of clinical supervision should be continued throughout the person’s career, whether they remain in clinical practice or move into management, research or education”. 
Howaston-Jones (2004 p 38)
  • “Clinical supervision is a designated reflective exchange between two or more professionals in a safe and supportive environment which critically analyses practice through normative, formative and restorative means to promote and enhance the quality of care”.
Tips to best utilise supervision:

We discussed that supervision is often a process or cycle of stages which should eventually lead to action points and the development of skills and knowledge. One good way of ensure this grow is through the use of  models of reflection.
Some of the models we as a collective find most useful are:



Other useful tips:

  • Be ready to learn, improve and consolidate.
  • Have courage to share things that are challenging as well as successes.
  • Communicate openly with issues expressed honestly.
  • Be open to receiving support.
  • Be open to feedback (positive and developmental).
  • Be prepared to find new ways of doing things.
  • Stick to agreed actions.
  • Be punctual.
  • Keep record of evidence for CPD.



Hopefully this post will be both interesting and helpful to any of you who are involved in clinical supervision. If I have learnt anything from today's training session it is that clinical supervision is to be valued and protected in clinical practice in order to  health care practitioners that are constantly learning and developing their skills and knowledge. 

Kate

1 comment:

  1. I too was surprised when I found out Nurses dont get the same level of support as us. I found that this was evident in terms of levels of stress, frustration and burnout in the team. I think it is a real shame and actual reflects quite badly on the NA! I actually heard the same is said for Social workers and recently had a social worker leave our team because she had a very difficult family client and was unable to be given the support she needed to reflect on it. xxx

    ReplyDelete